In just over 5 years, from 2010 to 2016, mobile app downloads have grown from a 4.5 billion downloads to an estimated 224 billion in 2016! That’s a lot of app consumption. A big driving force is the millions of apps and games that exist on both Play Store (Android) and App Store (Apple).
Most of these downloads are safe as both Apple and Google have done a good job in their review processes for apps and games (we know first hand!). Downloading apps from unknown sources is still possible for both Android and Apple devices. The following common sense tips via Get Cyber Safe, a Canadian-based public awareness campaign created to educate about Internet security, online protection and more put this list of 6 tips for users downloading apps.
6 Tips to Consider Before Downloading an App
- Make sure your operating system is updated – Your device is best protected if you have the latest software.
- Are you downloading from a trusted source? Try to stick to the default source of apps for your device or check out the official website.
- Do your research! Look into applications and their developers – Are there credible reviews?
- Review your privacy settings after downloading an app. Some settings are automatically set as a default, but you can often change them to suit your needs.
- Trust your instincts! If something feels “phishy” or unusual, there is probably a reason for it.
Read More via original post here.